Retail Buyers Guide: Mens Snow Outerwear 2022/23 Retail Buyer’s Guide
Interviewee: Raphaël Delfour, Winter & Trade marketing manager & Pierre-Alexandre Merlet, Men & Boy apparel product manager & Manu Basse, Men apparel creative manager
Please provide an overview of how 2021/22 is shaping up for your brand. Has COVID-19 affected your line? If so, please explain the changes you have made, and how you came to these decisions.
COVID-19 affected our European line. The ski resorts remained closed in most countries in Europe. Despite the inexistant turnover in resorts and the shortest sell time due to suppliers deadline, our retailers play the game by placing orders.
We have already started a change in 2021/22 by developing a new range structure and fits.
We continue using and developing specialized technologies who enable performance, impermeability and breathability.
What is the overall theme behind your FW 22/23 outerwear range? From which big trends do you take your inspiration?
Our biggest inspiration is definitely the success of our apparel collection. Recently at Rip Curl, the outerwear products is tied to apparel division. We are now creating consistency between snow jackets and the apparel offer in polars, fleeces, tee-shirts … The goal is to keep our surf spirit in the mountains.
What new fits / silhouettes are coming out in FW 22/23? What pant and jacket styles are most important in your range?With 35 years of experience in outerwear, Rip Curl always upgrades the range with new fits and more modern silhouettes.
The FW22/23 collection is still split into 3 levels of technicity : ultimate, core and rider.
- In the ultimate part of the range, you will find the backcountry search jacket and the updated backcountry bib. They are both made out of our 37,5 recycled twill fabric with no lining or padding and fully seam sealed, meaning they are what we call 2.5 layers product.
- Then if we move toward the core part of the range, you will find our freerider jacket and a redesigned rocker pant. Both product are made with a stretch recycled twill made by reprieve and a 20K/20K fortress lamination. The free rider jacket is also lined with 40G of the finest primaloft insulation and both products are fully seam sealed.
- Then moving to the rider part of the range, you will find 3 newly designed jackets with the pinnacle, the notch up and the primitive pop over. We also reworked the base pant in a more minimalist direction. This part of the range with 10K/10K laminated fabric made by fortress and critical seam sealed has been designed in a way that it will fill the gap between classic outerwear products and more lifestyle jackets you could find in Anti Series .
This range with its 3 levels of technicity is covering every need you could have while going up the mountain, from hardcore products with no compromise to trans categories jacket that could also be worn in a city or during a cold day at the beach, the aim of this range is to propose a versatile offer where everyone can find it’s perfect match .
What new colours / prints are you introducing?
We developed 3 color stories in our upcoming range. Each jacket/pant is offered in all color stories.
- JOURNEY is our main color story which links outdoor and apparel products. Geometric prints have been introduced to it including taping details.
- SURF LANDING is a search collection with natural and earthy colors.
- ARCHIVE is a pop color story inspired by our previous boardshorts from the 80’s. Bright and fun colors directly refer to our surfing roots.
Any *NEW* technical stories with regards to fabrics and materials?
The membrane of « Search Series» products incorporates our 37,5 technology. It’s an incredible way to add adaptable breathability properties to the fabric. It helps keep your body at the ideal core temperature of 37.5° Celsius when your active by removing the sweat during it’s vapor stage before it get’s liquid .
Few years back, we developed the Heatseeker technology in our wetsuit range. Today, we drop this technology in our outdoor and outerwear range. We use the Heatseeker lining to reflect body warmth in order to increase comfort. It generates heat at the slightest movement and gives protection from wind. Our new parka called the pinnacle is using our heatseeker infrared lining adding some extra warmth to this product.
Any trends that your brand is moving away from?
Rip Curl doesn’t move away from trends, but refocuses on its DNA, its surf spirit. The whole range reflects it, from apparel to outerwear.
What are your top marketing stories for FW 22/23? This will help us to put some focus in the right place.
ANTI SERIES JOURNEYS collection corresponds to our top marketing story. Through this color story, we offer to the consumer a tremendous cross-merchandising from apparel to outerwear. It means we bring consistency from base layer and mid layer (fleece, hood) to our ultimate jacket in product details and prints.
Outerwear Best Sellers/Hero products
- Backcountry Search jacket is our outerwear key piece designed to keep you dry in all conditions. This warm and well performing product has been tested and validated by our international athletes.
- With its modern shape, our parka called Pinnacle is ideal for facing winter.
- Our Primitive pop over is a stylish model in Oxford polyester with a waterproof (10K) and breathable (10K) membrane. A modern fit and a practical side zipper add value to it.