Retail Buyers Guide: Women’s Swimwear SS20
Interviewee: Pierrejean Rueda, Hurley EMEA director
What are the key trends in this segment for 2020 and how are you serving this in your SS20 collection?
For 2020, Hurley will present a 100% new collection, with improved technologies and fits.
The line will include premium technical styles, both trendy and made for sports.
Many styles are reversible, so you can freely choose if you are in the mood for prints or plain.
You will also find different levels of support and compression. Hence, you will be able to find the perfect piece of swimwear adapted to your activity.
The entire line is made of a quick-drying fabric, great to go from the beach to the street in a flash.
What have been the major inspirations behind the designs in the SS20 range?
The major inspirations behind the designs are:
- Floral & nature (with for instance the collaboration with Hawaiian artist Sig Zane)
- Psyched (Tie & Dye)
- Geometric prints
What style/shape of swimwear is most popular in your range?
The Quick Dry surf top is our most popular swimwear style. Coming in various coloUrs and prints, the Quick Dry surf top is a great product for those seeking good value for money. This style offers support in water but also for any other activity and dries quickly once you’re out; keeping you comfortable all-day long.
What materials are you using? Any innovations to talk about?
We are using a quick-drying fabric, providing an all-day comfort. This hybrid material allows you to use it both in and out of the water.
What about colour palettes and prints? Any crossovers from other parts of your range?
Our seasonal prints will include:
- Tie & Dye
There is a crossover with the entire rest of the collection. Indeed, you can find those prints also on other product categories, making it easier to build a nice visual assortment in the shop.
Any exciting marketing campaigns for your SS20 collection?
- Clark Little ‘Lava’ collaboration (SP20) – the upcoming collaboration with master water photographer Clark Little depicts the beauty and power of Hawaiian nature.
- Sig Zane Wailehua (SU20) – this year we’re partnering again with Hawaiian designer Sig Zane who designed fresh, colourful and floral prints paying tribute to the Hawaiian culture.
- Pendleton Crater Lake (SP20) – inspired by some of nature’s most beautiful playgrounds, we’ve partnered with Pendleton Woolen Mills to celebrate America’s national parks. Through the collection, Pendleton and Hurley are proud to support the work of the national park foundation to protect and enhance America’s treasured places. This season, the collection is dedicated to the Crater Lake National Park in Oregon.
What POS are you heeling retailers out with?
We provide retailers with metallic POP on, which come as magnetic explicative sheets to help the client understand the benefit and technical features offered by our products – ultimately helping sell-through.
Please name and describe your 3 highlight pieces.
– The Hurley Quick Dry Max delivers high-compression for a performance-level support. The fixed, cross-back straps and six-anchor-points create a snug, secure fit to keep you confident in the water.
The hybrid material allows use both in and out of the water and provides all-day comfort. Finally, the keyhole detail at the front facilitates water drainage.
– The Hurley Quick Dry Surf Top: coming in various colours and prints, the Quick Dry surf top is a great product for those seeking a good value for money. This style offers support in water but also for any other activity and dries quickly once you’re out; keeping you comfortable all-day long.
– The Hurley Block Party body: The Hurley Quick Dry Block Party Bodysuit is the ultimate one-piece, with a playful cut made from hybrid material and a built-in bra for support in and out of the water.